I like these guidelines compiled by Jocelyn over at A Pondering Heart, edited slightly for fit here:
Rules of Engagement:
- When you comment please make sure to sign-in or sign your name/link to the comment. Anonymous comments aren’t allowed. Comments by new visitors go into moderation, no need to post them twice. They will appear on the site after I read and approve them. If you wish to edit your comment just click on it (within a limited timeframe). I do edit and delete those which are unacceptable.
- In submitting a comment, use a working email address that belongs to you so that I may contact you if need be. *Your email is NOT shown publicly*.
- I am a Christian blogger; Christ bashing will not be tolerated, and will be deleted (as opposed to reasoned debate, which is welcome).
- If your arguement with another poster becomes heated, remember: agree to disagree. Do not resort to personal attacks, and do not belittle someone else’s argument. Snarky, hateful, unnecessary remarks will not be tolerated, and will be edited/deleted. Instead of making it personal, use reason and persuasive skills to make your point or criticize theirs.
- All comments must be intelligent and civil. You may state your opinion in a civil manner, but arguing will not be tolerated. Within comments, use a friendly, conversational tone and be creative. Go ahead and show off your ability to communicate.
- Any disrespectful comments will be edited or, if necessary, deleted. Dishonouring others, and particularly children dishonoring adults/parents, will not be tolerated on this weblog.
- Anonymous argumentative comments will be deleted.
- Comments using selected profanity are automatically deleted – nobody will ever see them.
- Read the entirety of the post before commenting. A poorly written, off subject comment leaves others wondering “did they even read it?”
- Blogging is a hobby that connects us with others from all over the world. Be courteous, be kind and most of all, have fun.
I want to share the Link Love!
I have put a couple of items in place to allow my real friends and fans to get some “juice” from participating on the blog, while still keeping the spammers away.
1. Akismet filters out all the obvious stuff, so I never even have to think about it…
2. I use CommentLuv, which will display a link to your latest (relatively!) blog post at the end of your comment (assuming you provide the relevant information).
3. I’ve also installed Lucia’s Linky Love, to allow dofollow links from your comment Name and links – *if and when* you satisfy the “I’m a real person” criteria. This even works on pingbacks!